Wednesday 26 March 2014

My War With Beige

Artwork by Matt Skingsley 
http://www.artbyskings.com

BEIGE. Beige, beillluurrrghh! 

I detest beige. It's vacant, dismal, insipid and bland. 

Beige is the colour that you get in art class when your palate slips out your hand, hits the floor and creates a huge hideous mess from the mix of the colours you had carefully spent time creating.

I think its time we fashionistas take action and declare war. Beige isn't just a colour, it's a way of life. Its a way of fitting in by blending into the sombre society. A way of staying hidden within a small box of comfort and shying away from the extravagance that the world can bring when you allow colour to jump onboard. 

People are so scared of colour. Scared of anything outside, what is considered, normal. You could argue and say, 'what's the difference between a beige wardrobe and a black one?' The answer? A LOT! Black is full of colour, its the combination of every colour in the spectrum, its living, vivacious, animated. Beige just exists. 

I went for a job interview last week for a little menswear boutique, I wore a very simple monochromatic outfit. The manager of the store, who dressed in beige, turned to me and proceeded to tell me that I didn't "look right" for the store. My outfit wasn't very 'them'. She signalled to one of her male sales assistants who was also dressed head to toe in beige. I had never been more angry. I left the store with my blood boiling. I refuse to conform for anyone, especially if it means becoming beige. This woman was so threatened by a simple white tee, a leather trouser, some minimal gold jewellery and a fedora, that she practically ran away and hid behind her beige comfort blanket in front of my eyes. When I went to calm myself down with a little retail therapy, things only got worse. I walked into a store past a selection of gloves in an array of colours, when I heard a woman practically scream "Oh wow, what a gorgeous colour". I turned around expecting to see the exquisite teal gloves in the lady's hands, but of course this would be too good to be true. Beige gloves. She had the option of so many gorgeous teals, mauves, fucias and yellows and she picked up beige gloves.

The time has come to defeat this nationwide obsession with this lacklustre colour, and inject some life into the wardrobes of Britain. I am not saying I suddenly want every man, woman and child to be walking around draped in Moschino. However the beige craze has gone too far, its infecting peoples minds and with it making the people as beige as the colour itself.

We must find a cure. Join Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment